Thursday, March 25, 2010

Antony Gormley and Event Horizon


I can't wait to see Antony Gormley's installation of nude figures around the Madison Square Park vicinity. This is one of the contemporary art/installation pieces that really excite me at this day and age. The concept and execution (even though I have yet to see them) sound very successful to me.

This is what installation art is about. I know what I'll be doing on Friday and Saturday!

Here's the article/write up in Art in America and there's also a great article explaining more about Event Horizon in the New York Times.

The first time I heard about it, it made sense to me that a passerby would interpret figures on a building as a possible suicide attempter (is that a word). Gormley hadn't considered this association, and though I question that. Really? Especially in the post-9/11 trauma state New Yorkers will always be in to some degree.

“I never wanted to freak anyone out. If people think of death and suicide, it’s a sad reflection on evolution. This is meant to be an amazing celebration of New York.”

I am sure he meant it to be a celebration of the city (London in 2007, New York 2010), but how can you not associate suicide with figure on the edge of a rooftop? Is it a sad reflection on evolution or is it simply human? Any way, if you're in the area take a look and you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your say here: